Valor Payroll Solutions
Washington DC Payroll Information
Enterprise payroll expertise, exclusively for small businesses.
Paying Employees in Washington DC
Washington DC 2023 Minimum Wage:
- $16.50/hour increasing to $17.00/hour eff 7.1.2023
Washington DC Overtime Rules:
- 1.5 x’s the regular rate of pay for all hours worked in excess of 40 in a workweek
Washington DC Paystub Requirements:
- The pay date
- Gross wages paid, showing overtime separately from regular wages
- A list of allowances and deductions
- Hours worked
- Net payment
- Amount of commissions (if applicable) separate from other earnings
How often do you have to pay employees in Washington DC?
- Employees must be paid at least twice per month, no more than 10 days after the end of a pay period.
When is an employee’s final check due in Washington DC?
- Voluntary resignation – wages are due within seven days or on the next regular pay date, whichever is earlier.
- Involuntary termination – wages are due no later than the first work day after the termination.
Washington DC Withholding Tax Registration
- Employers can register online on DC.gov
Wages Subject to Washington DC Withholding
- All wages earned by DC residents is subject to DC withholding
- Non-residents should complete form D-4A to establish with your employer that you’re not subject to DC income tax withholding
Washington DC Employee’s Withholding Exemption Certificate
- Form D-4
- You don’t have to file a DC tax return if you work in DC and are a resident of any other state.
- You don’t have to file a non-resident return in Maryland or Virginia if you live in DC and work in either of these states.
Washington DC Withholding Tax Due Dates
- Due annually by 1/31 if withholding is less than $200 per year
- Due monthly (default) by the 20th day of the month following the reporting period if the withholding amount is $200 or more per year
Washington DC Unemployment Tax Registration
- Employers can register for an account online via the Chief Financial Officer Website.
Washington DC Unemployment Tax Employer Liabilities
- New employer rate: 2.7%
- 2023 Wage Base: $9,000
Washington DC Unemployment Tax Due Dates
- Return and payment are due quarterly on the last day of the month following the end of the reporting period
Washington DC New Hire Reporting
- Employers can report new hires online on the DC Directory of New Hires website
- Phone: (877) 846-9523 x 300
- Fax: (877) 892-6388
- [email protected]
- Technical support
Washington DC Child Support
- Employers may submit child support payments electronically through the CSSD secure website.
- DC Child Support Clearinghouse
PO Box 37868
Washington, DC 20013-7868
- Phone: (202) 442-9900
- [email protected]
Additional Washington DC Payroll Resources
What Our Satisfied Clients are Saying
Valor Payroll Solutions has, quite literally, changed my life. I’m the CEO of a small, but fast growing, company, and I had previously been taking care of our multi-state payroll myself. It was overwhelming and I did not have the necessary expertise. Christina from Valor stepped in and took our payroll over completely, including all of the multi-state tax filings and other reporting. She also fixed all of the mistakes I didn’t even know I had made. She is kind, gracious, knowledgeable, attentive, and communicative. She has improved my company and has allowed us to continue growing. I would recommend Valor to any company with payroll needs. You will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.
Christina with Valor Payroll Solutions has been nothing short of amazing for our small business. She is kind, she is patient, she is prompt, and she has helped us learn so much that our previous payroll company was letting slide through the cracks. We are so grateful to have found her.
Christina was extremely helpfully and very patient. Christina delivered good work on this project. I enjoyed working with her, Her communication was top-notch, she met all deadlines, and her skills were reasonably strong. She helped me find additional information. I enjoyed working with Christina and will definitely be working with her in the future. Thank you Christina.
If I could give a 10 star I WOULD!! Usually I don’t take time to actually write reviews unless the experience was top notch. Christina is by far the MOST patience and professional individual, I’ve had the pleasure of working with. She answered all of my seriously silly questions without belittling me. She responds very fast, with great detail and clarity. I’ll def be using her again. Thank me later!
Christina was very knowledgeable in all the HR and hiring rules. She really helped me set up the hiring system for my startup. She called CA FTB to confirm the details and went over and above to do her job perfectly. It was awesome working with her and I am glad I hired her.
Christina is a great professional, works fast, pays attention to details, and is very thorough. Hope to work with her on more extensive tasks!
Christina did an excellent job on my project. Fast, professional and her work was superb!
Christina Hageny did some early work for our company and we were so impressed with her level of knowledge, expertise and commitment to the project that we signed her on to manage our company’s payroll full time. We deal in all 50 states and have employees spread out all over the country. As you can imagine, we brought a pretty complex set-up to the relationship, but Christina tackled it without any issue and got us back into compliance while ensuring that our team got compensated correctly and on time along the way. We do and will continue to recommend Christina Hageny and Valor Payroll Solutions to our friends and colleagues. Capable, trustworthy and unparalleled customer service!