Paying Employees in Washington DC
Washington DC 2021 Minimum Wage:$15/hour, $5.00/hour for tipped employees
Washington DC Overtime Rules: 1.5 x’s the regular rate of pay for all hours worked in excess of 40 in a workweek
Washington DC Paystub Requirements:
- The pay date
- Gross wages paid, showing overtime separately from regular wages
- A list of allowances and deductions
- Hours worked
- Net payment
- Amount of commissions (if applicable) separate from other earnings
How often do you have to pay employees in Washington DC? Employees must be paid at least twice per month, no more than 10 days after the end of a pay period.
When is an employee’s final check due in Washington DC?
- Voluntary resignation – wages are due within seven days or on the next regular pay date, whichever is earlier.
- Involuntary termination – wages are due no later than the first work day after the termination.
Washington DC Withholding Tax
Washington DC Withholding Tax Registration
- Employers can register online on DC.gov
Wages Subject to Washington DC Withholding
- All wages earned by DC residents is subject to DC withholding
- Non-residents should complete form D-4A to establish with your employer that you’re not subject to DC income tax withholding
Washington DC Employee’s Withholding Exemption Certificate
- You don’t have to file a DC tax return if you work in DC and are a resident of any other state.
- You don’t have to file a non-resident return in Maryland or Virginia if you live in DC and work in either of these states.
Washington DC Withholding Tax Due Dates
- Due annually by 1/31 if withholding is less than $200 per year
- Due monthly (default) by the 20th day of the month following the reporting period if the withholding amount is $200 or more per year
Washington DC Unemployment Tax
Washington DC Unemployment Tax Registration
Washington DC Unemployment Tax Employer Liabilities
- New employer rate: 2.7%
- 2021 Wage Base: $9,000
Washington DC Unemployment Tax Due Dates
- Return and payment are due quarterly on the last day of the month following the end of the reporting period
Washington DC New Hire Reporting
Washington DC Child Support