Valor Payroll Solutions
North Carolina Payroll Information
Enterprise payroll expertise, exclusively for small businesses.
Paying Employees in North Carolina
North Carolina 2022 Minimum Wage:
- $7.25 per hour
- $2.13 per hour for tipped employees
North Carolina Overtime Rules: 1.5 x’s the regular rate of pay for all hours worked in excess of 40 in a workweek
North Carolina Paystub Requirements:
- An employer must furnish each employee with an itemized statement of deductions made from that employee’s wages for each pay period such deductions are made.
How often do you have to pay employees in North Carolina?
- Employees must be paid on regularly scheduled paydays daily, weekly, bi-weekly, semi-monthly or monthly.
When is an employee’s final check due in North Carolina?
- Voluntary resignation – wages are due by the next regular payday. Commissions and bonuses are due on the first regular payday after the amount is calculated.
- Involuntary termination – wages are due by the next regular payday. Commissions and bonuses are due on the first regular payday after the amount is calculated.
North Carolina Withholding Tax
North Carolina Withholding Tax Registration
- Employers can use the Online Business Registration on the NC DOR website to register online.
Wages Subject to North Carolina Withholding
- All wages earned by North Carolina residents are subject to North Carolina withholding tax unless the work is performed out of state and withholding is taken for the work state.
- All wages earned by nonresidents in North Carolina are subject to North Carolina withholding tax.
North Carolina Employee’s Withholding Exemption Certificate
North Carolina Withholding Tax Due Dates
- Due quarterly on the last day of the month following quarter-end if average withholding is less than $250
- Due monthly on the 15th day of the following month if average withholding is $250-$1999
- Due semiweekly (same as federal deposit schedule) if average withholding is $2,000 or more per month
North Carolina Unemployment Tax
North Carolina Unemployment Tax Registration
- Employers can register online on the North Carolina Department of Commerce website.
North Carolina Unemployment Tax Employer Liabilities
- New employer rate: 1.9%
- 2022 Wage Base: $28,000
North Carolina Unemployment Tax Due Dates
- Return and payment are due quarterly on the last day of the month following the end of the reporting period
North Carolina New Hire Reporting
- Employers can report new hires online on the North Carolina State Directory of New Hires website
- North Carolina New Hire Directory
PO Box 427
Norwell, MA 02061
- Phone: (888) 514-4568
- Fax: (866) 257-7005
North Carolina Child Support
- Employers can remit North Carolina child support payments online using the Payment Processing Center
- North Carolina Child Support Centralized Collections
PO Box 900012
Raleigh, NC 27675-9012
- Phone: (919) 855-4755
- North Carolina Employer Resources
- North Carolina Child Support Services Handbook
- North Carolina Department of Revenue
- North Carolina Department of Labor