Valor Payroll Solutions
Montana Payroll Information
Enterprise payroll expertise, exclusively for small businesses.
Paying Employees in Montana
Montana 2023 Minimum Wage:
- $9.95 per hour
Montana Overtime Rules:
- 1.5 x’s the regular rate for non-exempt employees for hours worked over 40 in a workweek
Montana Paystub Requirements:
- All employers in this state when making payment to employees for salaries or wages shall, upon making such payment, give to the employee an itemized statement setting forth moneys deducted because of state and federal income taxes, social security, or any other deductions together with the amount of each deduction.
- Where no deduction is made in such payment of wages or salaries, the employer shall give to the employee a statement that the payment does not include any such deductions.
How often do you have to pay employees in Montana?
- If the employer does not establish a pay period it is presumed to be semimonthly. Employees must be paid within 10 days of the pay period end date.
When is an employee’s final check due in Montana?
- Involuntary terminations – wages are due immediately unless preexisting written policy exists, in which case must be paid within 15 calendar days or the next payday, whichever comes first
- Voluntary resignations – wages are due on the next regular payday or within 15 calendar days, whichever comes first
Montana Withholding Tax Registration
- Register online through TransAction Portal or online through Montana Department of Revenue Business Registration
Wages subject to Montana withholding tax
- All income earned within Montana is subject to Montana withholding
Montana Employee’s Withholding Exemption Certificate
- Form MW-4
- North Dakota
Montana Withholding Tax Due Dates
- The withholding schedule is based on your total withholding paid from July 1st of the previous year to June 30th of the current year
- Due annually by Jan 31 if withholding was up to $1,199
- Due monthly by the 15th of the following month if withholding was $1,200-$11,999
- Due accelerated on the same days as federal tax deposits if withholding is $12,000 or more
Montana Unemployment Tax Registration
- Register online on Montana’s Department of Labor & Industry website
Montana Unemployment Tax Employer Liabilities
- New employer rate: Industry rated
- 2023 Wage Base: $40,500
Montana Unemployment Tax Due Dates
- Return and payment are due quarterly on the last day of the month following the end of the reporting period
Montana New Hire Reporting
- New Hire Reporting Program
PO Box 8013
Helena, MT 59607-8013
- Phone: 888-866-0327
- Fax: 406-444-0745
- Montana new hire reporting online
Montana Child Support
- State of Montana
Department of Public Health & Human Services
Child Support Enforcement Division
Wage Withholding Unit
PO Box 8001
Helena, MT 59604-8001
- Phone: 406-442-7278
- Remit Montana child support payments online
Additional Montana Business Resources
What Our Satisfied Clients are Saying
Valor Payroll Solutions has, quite literally, changed my life. I’m the CEO of a small, but fast growing, company, and I had previously been taking care of our multi-state payroll myself. It was overwhelming and I did not have the necessary expertise. Christina from Valor stepped in and took our payroll over completely, including all of the multi-state tax filings and other reporting. She also fixed all of the mistakes I didn’t even know I had made. She is kind, gracious, knowledgeable, attentive, and communicative. She has improved my company and has allowed us to continue growing. I would recommend Valor to any company with payroll needs. You will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.
Christina with Valor Payroll Solutions has been nothing short of amazing for our small business. She is kind, she is patient, she is prompt, and she has helped us learn so much that our previous payroll company was letting slide through the cracks. We are so grateful to have found her.
Christina was extremely helpfully and very patient. Christina delivered good work on this project. I enjoyed working with her, Her communication was top-notch, she met all deadlines, and her skills were reasonably strong. She helped me find additional information. I enjoyed working with Christina and will definitely be working with her in the future. Thank you Christina.
If I could give a 10 star I WOULD!! Usually I don’t take time to actually write reviews unless the experience was top notch. Christina is by far the MOST patience and professional individual, I’ve had the pleasure of working with. She answered all of my seriously silly questions without belittling me. She responds very fast, with great detail and clarity. I’ll def be using her again. Thank me later!
Christina was very knowledgeable in all the HR and hiring rules. She really helped me set up the hiring system for my startup. She called CA FTB to confirm the details and went over and above to do her job perfectly. It was awesome working with her and I am glad I hired her.
Christina is a great professional, works fast, pays attention to details, and is very thorough. Hope to work with her on more extensive tasks!
Christina did an excellent job on my project. Fast, professional and her work was superb!
Christina Hageny did some early work for our company and we were so impressed with her level of knowledge, expertise and commitment to the project that we signed her on to manage our company’s payroll full time. We deal in all 50 states and have employees spread out all over the country. As you can imagine, we brought a pretty complex set-up to the relationship, but Christina tackled it without any issue and got us back into compliance while ensuring that our team got compensated correctly and on time along the way. We do and will continue to recommend Christina Hageny and Valor Payroll Solutions to our friends and colleagues. Capable, trustworthy and unparalleled customer service!