Valor Payroll Solutions
Michigan Payroll Information
Enterprise payroll expertise, exclusively for small businesses.
Paying Employees in Michigan
- $10.10 per hour
- $3.84 for tipped employees
- $8.59 for minors (16 & 17)
Michigan Overtime Rules:
- 1.5 x’s the regular rate of pay for all hours worked in excess of 40 in a workweek
Michigan Paystub Requirements:
- An employer shall furnish each employee at the time of payment of wages a statement of the hours worked by the employee, the gross wages paid, identification of the pay period for which payment is being made, a separate itemization of deductions, and for each hand harvester paid on a piece work basis furnish a statement of the total number of units harvested by the employee.
- Electronic pay or wage statements are allowed, provided the employee has the ability to print out the statement at the time the wages are paid. This manner of obtaining statements must be consistent throughout the company.
How often do you have to pay employees in Michigan?
- On or before the first day of each month wages must be paid for the first fifteen days of the preceding month.
- On or before the fifteenth day of each calendar month wages must be paid for the sixteenth through the end of the month for the preceding month.
When is an employee’s final check due in Michigan?
- Voluntary resignation – wages are due on the next scheduled payday
- Involuntary termination – wages are due on the next scheduled payday
Michigan Withholding Tax Registration
- Use the Michigan Treasury Online (MTO) website to register online
- Use Form 518, Registration for Michigan Taxes, to register by mail
Wages Subject to Michigan Withholding
- All wages earned in Michigan are subject to Michigan withholding tax, unless the employee is a resident of a state with a reciprocal agreement
- All wages earned by Michigan residents is subject to Michigan withholding tax
Michigan Employee’s Withholding Exemption Certificate
- Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin
Michigan Withholding Tax Due Dates (frequency assigned by the state)
- Due monthly on 20th day of following month
- Due quarterly by 20th day of the month following quarter end
- Due annually on Feb 28th
- Due on same day as federal payments
Michigan Unemployment Tax Registration
- Use the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity website to register online
Michigan Unemployment Tax Employer Liabilities
- New employer rate: 2.7%
- 2023 Wage Base: $9,500
Michigan Unemployment Tax Due Dates
- Return and payment are due quarterly on the last day of the month following the end of the reporting period
Michigan New Hire Reporting
- All employers are required to report all employees within 20 days of hire.
- Use the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services website to submit new hires online
- Use the Michigan New Hire Reporting Form to submit new hires by mail or fax
- Michigan New Hire Operations Center
PO Box 85010
Lansing, MI 48908-5010
- Phone: (800) 524-9846
- Fax: (877) 318-1659
Michigan Child Support
- Employers can make payments by credit card or electronic payment through the MiSDU website.
- Michigan State Disbursement Unit
P.O. Box 30350
Lansing, Michigan 48909-7850
- Phone: (800) 817-0805
Additional Michigan Business Resources
What Our Satisfied Clients are Saying
Valor Payroll Solutions has, quite literally, changed my life. I’m the CEO of a small, but fast growing, company, and I had previously been taking care of our multi-state payroll myself. It was overwhelming and I did not have the necessary expertise. Christina from Valor stepped in and took our payroll over completely, including all of the multi-state tax filings and other reporting. She also fixed all of the mistakes I didn’t even know I had made. She is kind, gracious, knowledgeable, attentive, and communicative. She has improved my company and has allowed us to continue growing. I would recommend Valor to any company with payroll needs. You will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.
Christina with Valor Payroll Solutions has been nothing short of amazing for our small business. She is kind, she is patient, she is prompt, and she has helped us learn so much that our previous payroll company was letting slide through the cracks. We are so grateful to have found her.
Christina was extremely helpfully and very patient. Christina delivered good work on this project. I enjoyed working with her, Her communication was top-notch, she met all deadlines, and her skills were reasonably strong. She helped me find additional information. I enjoyed working with Christina and will definitely be working with her in the future. Thank you Christina.
If I could give a 10 star I WOULD!! Usually I don’t take time to actually write reviews unless the experience was top notch. Christina is by far the MOST patience and professional individual, I’ve had the pleasure of working with. She answered all of my seriously silly questions without belittling me. She responds very fast, with great detail and clarity. I’ll def be using her again. Thank me later!
Christina was very knowledgeable in all the HR and hiring rules. She really helped me set up the hiring system for my startup. She called CA FTB to confirm the details and went over and above to do her job perfectly. It was awesome working with her and I am glad I hired her.
Christina is a great professional, works fast, pays attention to details, and is very thorough. Hope to work with her on more extensive tasks!
Christina did an excellent job on my project. Fast, professional and her work was superb!
Christina Hageny did some early work for our company and we were so impressed with her level of knowledge, expertise and commitment to the project that we signed her on to manage our company’s payroll full time. We deal in all 50 states and have employees spread out all over the country. As you can imagine, we brought a pretty complex set-up to the relationship, but Christina tackled it without any issue and got us back into compliance while ensuring that our team got compensated correctly and on time along the way. We do and will continue to recommend Christina Hageny and Valor Payroll Solutions to our friends and colleagues. Capable, trustworthy and unparalleled customer service!