Valor Payroll Solutions
Maine Payroll Information
Enterprise payroll expertise, exclusively for small businesses.
Paying Employees in Maine
Maine 2023 Minimum Wage:
- $13.80 per hour
Maine Overtime Rules:
- 1.5 x’s the regular rate of pay for all hours worked in excess of 40 in a workweek
Maine Paystub Requirements:
- The date of the pay period
- The hours
- Total earnings
- Itemized deductions
- If the record is provided in an electronic format the employer shall provide a method by which the employee may have ready access to the information and print it without cost to the employee.
How often do you have to pay employees in Maine?
- Employees must be paid at regular intervals no more than sixteen days apart. Payment must be within eight days of the pay period end date. If the pay date falls on a non-work day the payment must be made no later than the following business day.
When is an employee’s final check due in Maine?
- Voluntary resignation – wages are due on the next scheduled payday or within two weeks of the employee’s demand, whichever is sooner.
- Involuntary termination – wages are due on the next scheduled payday or within two weeks of the employee’s demand, whichever is sooner.
Maine Withholding Tax Registration
- Use the Sales & Use, Withholding and Service Provider Tax Registration Service website to register online
Wages Subject to Maine Withholding
- All wages earned in Maine by residents and nonresidents is subject to Maine withholding tax
Maine Employee’s Withholding Exemption Certificate
- Form W-4ME
Maine Withholding Tax Due Dates
- Due quarterly on the last day of the month following quarter end if withholding was $18,000 or less for preceding 12 months
- Due semiweekly on Wed for wages paid previous Wed-Fri or Friday for wages paid Sat-Tues if withholding was $18,000 or more for preceding calendar year
Maine Unemployment Tax Registration
- Use Maine’s ReEmployME website to register online
Maine Unemployment Tax Employer Liabilities
- New employer rate: 1.97%
- 2023 Wage Base: $12,000
Maine Unemployment Tax Due Dates
- Return and payment are due quarterly on the last day of the month following the end of the reporting period
Maine New Hire Reporting
- Use the New Hire Portal: https://portal.maine.gov/newhire to report new hires online
- Division of Support Enforcement and Recovery New Hire Reporting Program
11 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0011
- Fax: (207) 287-6882
Maine Child Support
- Remit Maine Child Support payments online using the Maine Employer Portal website
- Maine Division of Support Enforcement and Recovery State House
Augusta, ME 04332-1098
Additional Maine Business Resources
What Our Satisfied Clients are Saying
Valor Payroll Solutions has, quite literally, changed my life. I’m the CEO of a small, but fast growing, company, and I had previously been taking care of our multi-state payroll myself. It was overwhelming and I did not have the necessary expertise. Christina from Valor stepped in and took our payroll over completely, including all of the multi-state tax filings and other reporting. She also fixed all of the mistakes I didn’t even know I had made. She is kind, gracious, knowledgeable, attentive, and communicative. She has improved my company and has allowed us to continue growing. I would recommend Valor to any company with payroll needs. You will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.
Christina with Valor Payroll Solutions has been nothing short of amazing for our small business. She is kind, she is patient, she is prompt, and she has helped us learn so much that our previous payroll company was letting slide through the cracks. We are so grateful to have found her.
Christina was extremely helpfully and very patient. Christina delivered good work on this project. I enjoyed working with her, Her communication was top-notch, she met all deadlines, and her skills were reasonably strong. She helped me find additional information. I enjoyed working with Christina and will definitely be working with her in the future. Thank you Christina.
If I could give a 10 star I WOULD!! Usually I don’t take time to actually write reviews unless the experience was top notch. Christina is by far the MOST patience and professional individual, I’ve had the pleasure of working with. She answered all of my seriously silly questions without belittling me. She responds very fast, with great detail and clarity. I’ll def be using her again. Thank me later!
Christina was very knowledgeable in all the HR and hiring rules. She really helped me set up the hiring system for my startup. She called CA FTB to confirm the details and went over and above to do her job perfectly. It was awesome working with her and I am glad I hired her.
Christina is a great professional, works fast, pays attention to details, and is very thorough. Hope to work with her on more extensive tasks!
Christina did an excellent job on my project. Fast, professional and her work was superb!
Christina Hageny did some early work for our company and we were so impressed with her level of knowledge, expertise and commitment to the project that we signed her on to manage our company’s payroll full time. We deal in all 50 states and have employees spread out all over the country. As you can imagine, we brought a pretty complex set-up to the relationship, but Christina tackled it without any issue and got us back into compliance while ensuring that our team got compensated correctly and on time along the way. We do and will continue to recommend Christina Hageny and Valor Payroll Solutions to our friends and colleagues. Capable, trustworthy and unparalleled customer service!