Valor Payroll Solutions
Maine Payroll Information
Enterprise payroll expertise, exclusively for small businesses.
Paying Employees in Maine
Maine 2022 Minimum Wage:
- $12.75 per hour
Maine Overtime Rules: 1.5 x’s the regular rate of pay for all hours worked in excess of 40 in a workweek
Maine Paystub Requirements:
- The date of the pay period
- The hours
- Total earnings
- Itemized deductions
- If the record is provided in an electronic format the employer shall provide a method by which the employee may have ready access to the information and print it without cost to the employee.
How often do you have to pay employees in Maine?
- Employees must be paid at regular intervals no more than sixteen days apart. Payment must be within eight days of the pay period end date. If the pay date falls on a non-work day the payment must be made no later than the following business day.
When is an employee’s final check due in Maine?
- Voluntary resignation – wages are due on the next scheduled payday or within two weeks of the employee’s demand, whichever is sooner.
- Involuntary termination – wages are due on the next scheduled payday or within two weeks of the employee’s demand, whichever is sooner.
Maine Withholding Tax
Maine Withholding Tax Registration
- Use the Sales & Use, Withholding and Service Provider Tax Registration Service website to register online
Wages Subject to Maine Withholding
- All wages earned in Maine by residents and nonresidents is subject to Maine withholding tax
Maine Employee’s Withholding Exemption Certificate
- Form W-4ME
Maine Withholding Tax Due Dates
- Due quarterly on the last day of the month following quarter end if withholding was $18,000 or less for preceding 12 months
- Due semiweekly on Wed for wages paid previous Wed-Fri or Friday for wages paid Sat-Tues if withholding was $18,000 or more for preceding calendar year
Maine Unemployment Tax
Maine Unemployment Tax Registration
- Use Maine’s ReEmployME website to register online
Maine Unemployment Tax Employer Liabilities
- New employer rate: 2.24%
- 2022 Wage Base: $12,000
Maine Unemployment Tax Due Dates
- Return and payment are due quarterly on the last day of the month following the end of the reporting period
Maine New Hire Reporting
- Use the New Hire Portal: https://portal.maine.gov/newhire to report new hires online
- Division of Support Enforcement and Recovery New Hire Reporting Program
11 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0011
- Fax: (207) 287-6882
Maine Child Support
- Remit Maine Child Support payments online using the Maine Employer Portal website
- Maine Division of Support Enforcement and Recovery State House
Augusta, ME 04332-1098