Paying Employees in Hawaii
Hawaii 2021 Minimum Wage: $10.10 per hour
Hawaii Overtime Rules: 1.5 x’s the regular rate of pay for all hours worked over 40 in a workweek
Hawaii Paystub Requirements:
- Furnish each employee at every payday a legible printed, typewritten, or handwritten record showing
- Total gross compensation
- The amount and purpose of each deduction
- Total net compensation
- Date of payment
- Pay period covered
How often do you have to pay employees in Hawaii?
- Employees must be paid at least twice per month
When is an employee’s final check due in Hawaii?
- Voluntary resignation – wages must be paid by the next regular pay date. If an employee gives at least one pay period’s notice the payment is due at the time of quitting.
- Involuntary termination – wages must be paid at the time of discharge, or no later than the next working day.
Hawaii Withholding Tax
Hawaii Withholding Tax Registration
Wages Subject to Hawaii Withholding
- Wages earned in Hawaii are subject to Hawaii withholding tax
- Wages earned outside of Hawaii are subject to Hawaii withholding tax if the employer paying the wages is headquartered in Hawaii, or if the employee’s regular place of employment is Hawaii
Hawaii Employee’s Withholding Exemption Certificate
Hawaii Withholding Tax Due Dates
- If liability is >$40,000 tax is due semi-weekly on Wed following payday Wed-Fri or Fri following payday Sat-Tues.
- If liability is $5,000 – $40,000 payment is due monthly on the 15th day of month following close of preceding month.
- If liability is less than $5,000 payment is due quarterly on the 15th day of the month following close of preceding quarter.
Hawaii Unemployment Tax
Hawaii Unemployment Tax Registration
Hawaii Unemployment Tax Employer Liabilities
- New employer rate: 2.4%
- 2021 Wage Base: $47,400
Hawaii Unemployment Tax Due Dates
- Return and payment are due quarterly on the last day of the month following the end of the reporting period
Hawaii New Hire Reporting
- Child Support Enforcement Agency
New Hire Reporting
601 Kamokila Blvd., Suite 251
Kapolei, HI 96707
- Fax: (808) 692-7001
- Phone: (808) 692-7029
Hawaii Child Support
- Payments can be made online using the expertpay website
- 601 Kamokila Boulevard
Suite 207 Kapolei, Hawaii 96707-2021
- Phone: (888) 317-9081
- Fax: (808) 692-7134